Wednesday 23 November 2016

Not Yet ~ Uwais Coetzee

I heard about the accident
before I went to bed,
about how the car looked
as it was dripping red.
It was a ten car pileup
on highway 93,
and from all those people
the one who pulled her out was me.
Out of all the bones in her body
she'd broken 45.
The doctor came out looking grim and said
"By tomorrow she won't be alive."
I couldn't believe what I heard
or what the doctor had said
I needed to be with her and
sit next to her bed.
I sat by her bed
and watched her sleep
and by 7 a.m.
I heard the long beep.
We prepared the funeral
to lay her down to rest.
I thought about my life
and how it was a mess.
It was a funeral
that nobody wanted to miss.
We stood up one by one,
to each give a kiss.
I stood up and
kissed her forehead.
But as I leaned in she whispered
"Save me, I'm not dead."                      


©  Uwais Coetzee

***
Grade 10
***