Friday 20 May 2016

Soldier's Journey ~ Jadee Mac Donald

If I should die, think only this of me
That this was never my destiny
I never wanted to take this path
I was forced into this ferocious blood bath

I've seen friends fall 
And I've seen terror many more
But do forgive me family if I pass 
I've never meant for this to break your hearts

My caring heart has become colder throughout the wars
Knocking down the fearing's doors
Looking into the eyes of a helpless victim
Promising his freedom but I tricked him

There are no winners in war
More victims you can count on the floor
I don't want to be known as a killer
But the eyes of my victims still haunt my brain
And killing more would just for a second take away the pain

My life of happiness
Was taken away for me
Not voluntarily
I've never meant for my life to turn out like this
But this is what war is
Everyone is a victim

If it's not the killing it's the voices in your head 
Telling you that what you are doing is wrong
But you are told that you belong
They tell you not to stop fighting
But the souls of the dead are biting

I need to leave this chore
But this is war...
I'm expected to give my life for my country


©  Jadee Mac Donald


***
Grade 9
***